Whether you are doing a complete swimming pool demolition or a partial swimming pool removal, swimming pool demolition is one of the simpler demolition jobs you can do. Here are 10 Tips to help you in your swimming pool demolition.
10. Use heavy machinery … While you can do a swimming pool demolition with a jackhammer I would highly recommend using heavy equipment to demo a pool. Either a bobcat with a hydraulic drill attachment, or a backhoe. Either one can quickly break up and bust up concrete.
9. Obtain a permit … Typically you would need some type of permit for a swimming pool demolition. For instance, in Los Angeles, you only need a grading permit. Other municipalities may require a demolition permit or a series of permits. Obtaining a permit now ensures that your swimming pool removal is legal from the start.
8. Make a plan for construction debris disposal … Even if you are filling in your pool you can expect a certain amount of construction debris. Develop a plan beforehand on how you are going to dispose of that construction debris. Whether you are renting a dumpster or calling a hauling service, when, etc.
7. Get rid of pool accessories in advance … Pool toys, pool furniture, and portable pool filters can all become flying projectiles during a swimming pool demolition.
6. Cover your windows … If you have glass doors and windows overlooking the pool, you may want to cover those doors and windows with heavy duty plastic or plywood boarding to prevent them from damage.
5. Lock up the cat, board the dog … It should go without saying that you need to isolate and lock up your pets during any kind of demolition work.
4. Drain your pool… Before you begin your pool demolition be sure to remove the drain plugs and completely drain your pool. You may want to use a compressor and hose to drain the pool completely.
3. Drill drainage holes … Drill an array of drainage holes in the bottom of the pool so that once the pool has been filled in ground water will drain normally.
2. Buy extra fill … You will need fill dirt to layer on top of the demolished pool once the top layer of concrete so make sure you have some dirt on hand to complete the fill in.
1. Recruit friends … doing your on swimming pool demolition can be a herculean effort so get some friends to help you.
If you use these tips your swimming pool demolition will go smoothly.